Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bikram Yoga




Friday night Cryssy and I went to our first class of Bikram Yoga. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. I haven't done yoga in a long while and I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to hold the asana (pose) and just fall over. I called to spoke to Eric (the owner) and he said 'people are falling all over the place, its beautiful' That made me feel much better. When we got there and walked in, it was very warm. There was nice music playing and then we signed in and met Eric. He looked like a little zen yogi. The scent of nag champa was flowing throughout the place.


Cryssy and I changed and waited for class to begin. When it was time we opened the actual room. Mind you Bikram Yoga is practiced in a heated room,105 degrees, that way your muscles can stretch easier, you sweat out toxins, etc. Crystal was our instructor and she was super nice. In our session there was only 3 other people and us. The first 10 minutes I think were the hardest..I have never,ever sweat so much..my towel was soaked. Some of the asanas required you to hold your ankle and mine kept slipping because it was so sweaty. Even my fingers were glistening! There were times when it got to hard and I felt nauseous and the instructor said when this happens to lay on your mat and keep doing pranayamas..(breathing exercises). This was one of the hardest things I ever did. I am so glad I stuck with it. 90 minutes in 105+ degrees with 40% humidity. I am very sore today. I am going again on Tuesday and Cryssy and I are going together Wednesday. I had an epiphany..Yoga is my path...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your descriptive writing. It really makes me feel like I was there. Oh wait, I was. Really, though, if I hadn't been there I would still feel that way. I'm looking forward to Wednesday, Kelly! Good luck when you go tomorrow :)