Friday, July 16, 2010

Jellyfish and zucchini bars

Summer has finally rolled in, and ohmygod..its been hot, and the humidity makes things suck even more. Yesterday my friend and her daughter and the kids and I packed up and hit the beach. We went somewhere on base..as her hubby is in the navy.
We arrived and there was plenty of parking and not crowded..like at all.
After setting up we sat and ate some sammies we got at Subway. Jack took like 2 bites and dropped it and headed out to the surf.

We all followed suit. The water was so cold.
Ok. Fast forward, maybe 2 hours. Lily has made a new friend..(some boy nonetheless). They were acting like little freaks and throwing seaweed and wet sandLily discovers purple seaweed (or so she thinks) and brings it to the shore.
Umm.... Errr.. Yeah..
That is not pretty purple seaweed, that's a friggin' jellyfish! Shortly after..the whining sets in and then the stinging and burning. This is not the whole jellyfish either mind you. This is just a piece of the MASSIVE blob that was floating nearby. This thing was HUGE!!!
Crap.
Jack notices Lily getting all the attention and everyone hoovering over her, then he doubles over..."Mommy! My legs are burning..and, um..my thumb..yeah, my thumb is stinging ..and ahh my eyes!" Nice try kid...
Jack was never touched or was no where near the gelatinous beast for that matter.
My first thoughts were..someone has to pee on her hand! Didn't you see that Friends episode where Monica gets stung..???
No one ended up peeing on her...the sting wasn't that bad..her finger was swollen..but eventually went down. She worked it for as long as she could...
I think she learned her lesson..*fingers crossed!*

LILY.... DO NOT TAKE RANDOM ODDITIES FROM THE SEA!!!!


In other news...I am making some zucchini bars today.

I got the recipe from a good friend at work. These suckers rock! They are so good. I tweaked the recipe a little..
Here's the how to:

First up... Gather all this stuff



Beat together

Sugar..(I used 1/4 sugar and maybe 1/3 cup or so agave nectar)

oil..(again, I used 1/2 c oil and 1/2 c applesauce.. )

3 organic brown eggs
Next up, beat in 2 cups of flour, (I used whole wheat) ,

1 tsp of cinnamon

1 tsp of salt

2 tsp of baking powder

1/4th tsp of baking soda

1 tsp of vanilla
Beat for about 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy
Now grate up 2 cups of zucchini and one carrot...(luckily, I just got these and the zuke in last nights csa box!)


Chop up about a cup or so of walnuts..
Add in the oats and fold in the veggies....
Unfortunately it will look like a pan of vomit..but boy its smells so good Bake at 350 degrees for 40ish minutes...then let them cool completly..When they are cool, cut into small squares.


While this is going..lets get busy with the frosting....oh yeah!

Get a bowl and dump in

2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar

1/2 soft butter

1/4 tsp almond extract

2 tsp of vanilla

3 ounces of softened cream cheese
Beat this for a few minutes until smooth and delicious...

Set aside..or stick in the fridge.

Then slop on the icing...

These are so good...the kids loved them. I am going to make these for Jack's birthday party.

I think they taste better cold.
Enjoy!

No comments: