Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday Stuffin'

I am so happy to be at the blog thing again..its a great outlet for me...but more importantly..I am rockin' the kitchen again. I was in a slump for a really long time. But honestly ever since we signed up with our CSA, it has inspired me to get busy doing my thang! :-)
Thursday in our box we received alot of Anaheim Peppers...
I wasn't sure what to do with them, so I decided to stuff em'.
Here's what I did:
Ground 1lb ground turkey
I used a crapload of Cumin and some all purpose seasoning. Then after washing the peppers, slice down the center..but not all the way..and remove the seeds, top and all that other junk. Then put them in a steamer basket in a large pan and steam for about 6ish minutes..or until they start to sweat.
While they are steaming, put in a bunch of tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Next I decided to add some brown rice..about a cup
I used Minute Rice (Brown Rice) and nuked it..I was too impatient to do it on the stove top..and also too lazy.
Mix well..
After this I decided it needed something else...??? Ah ha! Beans baby! I got a can or organic tri bean medley, rinsed them Dump them in the turkey mixture stuff....


Next get a long baking dish and put the peppers in...like this..make sure they don't touch each other. I don't know why, I just don't like that. Whatever.. Moving on.
Start spooning in the filling like so....

Be generous..stuff them bad boys!Add a bunch of cheese..I used Monetary Jack...ultimately I wanted to use Manchego..or something..but didn't see it at Trader Joe's last night...Oh well.

Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees...then get 2 small cans of tomato sauce and dump in a sauce pan and add all kinds of spices and herbs.. I used oregano, cumin, garlic, salt, basil..whatever you have on hand and sounds good will do just fine me thinks...
Top the peppers with the sauce and add a little more cheese..Hey the more the merrier right? Its the weekend..we're not counting calories!

Cover with foil and pop in the oven for maybe 25 minutes or so...and viola!

The verdict: These were the bomb! They are so hearty too. The filling is really good, and the peppers still have a bit of crispness to them..
The two textures were creating a taste explosion in my mouth. The only thing, however..is next time I would add something to give them a kick..such as some chipotle and adobo or something. Other than that...two thumbs up!

Enjoy!
P.S.
Stay tuned, tomorrow is Pasta Puttanesca!


Green Pepper on FoodistaGreen Pepper

Green Pepper on Foodista

1 comment:

Christine said...

Wow i never tried stuffed peppers. I will try this. Your stuffed peppers look delish! If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set,
I hope you won't mind also I shared the photo of your green peppers on that site.
Thanks!