Sunday, July 18, 2010

Triple P

I was scanning through my Vegetarian Times magazine from February and came across Rigatoni Puttanesca with Veggie Meatballs. I never had this before and frankly had no clue what it was. The first time I ever heard of this was from the movie Series of Unfortunate Events...
I used organic penne pasta..(hence the title of the post..Penne Pasta Puttanesca)
Here's the low down....

First up..get all this stuff

*Bread crumbs
*parsley
*basil
*pasta of your choice
*Parmesan cheese
*garlic
*black pepper
*tomato sauce
*olives
*soy sausage, such as Gimme Lean..

Cook pasta according to package instructions...

Then squeeze the tube of soysage into a bowl and dump in bread crumbs
Next up, grate some fresh Parmesean
and a bunch of garlic
chop up a handful of parsley
then get your basil leaves and lay them on top of each other like this
next roll the leaves up like a cigar..and slice into thin pieces..I believe this is called chiffonade....
Add some to the mix...save some for garnish later
Mix well with hands...
Roll into little balls like this
Throw them into a hot skillet with some olive oil and fry for like 6 or so minutes

Dump in a jar of whatever kind of sauce tickles your fancy. I used tomato basil
Add olives...you could use kalamata olives..but the mere thought of those, let alone the smell makes me wanna hurl. I used black sliced olives.Next up, top the pasta...then add some more of that basil and grate some more of the parmie.
Enjoy!

Verdict* This was surprisingly tasty. I normally don't like olives..like AT ALL..but it went very well with the sauce. The balls were firm and delicious..( that didn't come out right..whatever, get your mind out of the gutter..we're talking food here yo!) They had a really good taste. The kids scarfed it up..The mister on the other hand was not fond of this at all. He was wondering why I didn't use real meat. Sometimes, it just feels like a vegetarian day!

No comments: