Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ms. Manners where are you?

Yesterday I made a vegan shepards pie..a awesome recipe from
How It All Vegan. I had made this before years ago when I was a vegetarian for a Thanksgiving supper. And at that time Justin ate it..in fact he had seconds.
First you dice up some celery (I was out), onion, spinach,carrots and tomatoes. You also need a cup or so of cooked lentils.
Then you need to boil some chopped potatoes and then mash them with some milk and butter.
Then saute all the veggies until the carrots are tender.
After that, add the mashed lentils to the mixture. Then lightly oil a pie plate and put the veggie mixture in it. Then top it with the mashed potatoes.

Pop it in the oven for maybe 20 minutes and you have a savory dish. yum. However..it didn't win over my peeps. When the hubs found out what I was making he immediatly asked wheres the meat? Not today yo! Then he began to inform me he won't eat anything that is mixed with mashed potatoes..he likes them alone. Whatever. Jack cried..didn't even want to try. After what seemed like forever..(only really like 5 minutes) he took a bite and he said.."mm this is so good" Lily..well she took a bite and I told her to keep the comments to herself. Because anytime someone says anything..all the sudden everyone agrees with the said comment, besides the fact the were just scarfing it down. Justin made a turkey sandwich. He asked Lily if she wanted some. And you know what she said that little booger..she said "Oh ya, then I won't have to eat this garbage!" I 'bout choked on my food. WTF!! I was totally enjoying the dish and I had hoped the children would too, not to mention that is chock full of healthy things. Justin scolded Lily and said how that is rude.. and then went on how Mama is so sensitive about things when normally if it would have been said to him or her, they just laugh it off. Pft.. whatever. And after all that, she still never apologized. Jack ended up only eating maybe 4 bites and then had some of Justins massive turky sammy. I had seconds of the shepards pie. I absolutly love that. Maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive about that. Maybe I should just let it roll off me like raindrops on your shoulder... but thats just not me. Sure it would be alot easier..than to have to mull things over and over again and analyze every little detail about things that were said and done. Blah..I am tired of this post now..I am off to read.

1 comment:

B said...

Aw. I'm sorry! I got that book, btw. After you and Missy recommended it. I've only made a few things. Andi doesn't like a whole lot of vegetarian things either. He wouldn't go to regular shepherd's pie, let alone a vegan one. But it sounds Yummy to me! Sorry about Lily. I think girls are just like that. You should tell your husband that just because HE doesn't like it, he shouldn't say anything in front of the kids because it influences them so much. I know when Adrien gets older I'll have the same problem. I eat almost anything -- but Andi just doesn't. So picky. I just don't want it to rub off on our kids. Blah.

Sorry about all that. At least you'll have tons of leftovers for lunch!