Friday, June 29, 2007

Books and Poop

I would like to take the kids to the library today. Lily is an avid reader and Jack loves books with dump trucks and cement mixers. He can spout off so many trucks, for example, he's particularly fond of the giant excavator and the front-end loader..not to mention the back-hoe. Lily loves fairy books and scary stuff. She has the whole series of the Disney Fairies, which is about 7 I think. She really likes those funny Wheres Waldo books too. I remember at school last year she came home one day upset because it was the children's library day and she was told that she could not check out the book that she fancied because it was a fifth grade level book. How ridiculous. Aren't the kids suppose to challenge themselves and read books that are a bit more difficult, isn't that how they learn? I phoned the school and spoke with the librarian and gave her a piece of my mind, in a polite, friendly manner of course. She made a special note in Lily's file that she was able to get any book she pleases. The books that were sent home w/ the children in the literacy bag once a week were ridiculously easy..like books she would have read in Kindergarten.
Next week we are going to start our project. Lily will spin her globe around with her eyes closed, then point to a random place. Then we will research the place for the week, reading about the history, culture, listening to music of that origin, making tasty treats that are usually found there too. I think it will be fun, and hopefully she does too. Just because schools out doesn't mean the learning stops.
Luna has adjusted quite well to her new non feline family. She is so cozy. She sleeps with us, rotating from Lily, then over to Justin and then me. (Jack does not like her at night because she is so frisky, also because a few nights ago she was under the covers and she crept up and was licking Jacks toes, and that totally freaked him out!) She curls up right on my neck and purrs..adorable!
Its amazing how quickly my babies grow. Lily put on an old Hello Kitty night gown and it was so tiny and short on her, last time we saw that on her it was way longer. She is almost as tall as me. That's not saying much really because I am pushing 5'1 and 1/2!
Jack is just his little man so full of energy, playing with trucks, eating popsicles and harassing his sister. In the evening I take them outside in the front and they play with all the other children. Its so cute to see him ride a razor scooter at 2 years old. He is quite fast and can balance really well. He can keep up with the bigger kids too. Hes not a baby anymore. Lately our nightly dinner talk has revolved around poop. He thinks its hilarious to talk about poop and farting. I ask him "How's your chicken?" He and says "Its good Mom, it taste like poop!" lol "Ewww it smells like chair poop in here," or Wow that looks like fan poop" Huh?!? I guess its a boy thing..He loves to hang w/ Daddy and say over and over, "We're the boys, huh daddy?" and "Mommy and Lily are the girls, but We're the BOYS!" Funny.

1 comment:

B said...

I don't think boys ever grow out of it. My husband still thinks poop is funny lol!