Thursday, June 28, 2007

Seriously....???

Why is religion, or lack there of in my case such a big freaking deal? I am so sick of people that find out that I am not Christian gasp for breath and say,"oh really, why? What do you believe in then? Well perhaps if you just come to my church and..." blah blah blah...

What difference does it make anyway? Seriously.. I don't question others belief or religion..(as long as they don't become too pushy with it and start shoving it in my face) . I had a friend (who moved away) who was a hard core Christian..even played preachy tunes in the car, but we got along fabulously because I told her up front (when we got on that topic) that I was agnostic, borderline atheist and she was accepting of that. Such a rarity these days.
Just like when I was joining the home-school group so Lily could make some friends...I was told it would not be wise of me to mention that I didn't attend and church, nor planned on raising my children in any religious sect and that I would let them figure that out on their own. Why couldn't we just hang out and let kids play and not get the EVIL eye from the holier than thou moms who push religion/god/bible down their childrens throat. Why couldn't we talk about kids, and silly things they do, recipes, or even more important things like the condition of the planet and what we can do to help with the climate crisis for example? Hell, I'll even talk about the lame ass reality shows that are on every channel (yes I watch a few, Hell's Kitchen is my favorite! Gotta love Gordan Ramsey yo!) But apparently if I don't fit with the current Born again stuff, then I am an outcast..*sigh* I will start my own playgroup..anyone one wanna join?

4 comments:

B said...

First of all, I love Hell's Kitchen! Second of all, you get it from all sides regardless of your outlook. I was at a play date one day and somehow religion came up. Surprisingly, I was the only church-goer there. Everyone else was either Agnostic or Atheist...which is completely fine. But they really made me feel as though I wouldn't be able to contribute to the conversation because *gasp* I actually am Christian. I just stayed quiet. I completely respect their opinions, but I don't really think a play group is the place to discuss it, ya know? I was at a pot luck play date one day and the woman who was hosting it has "story time" before the meal. It was Bible Stories. Like I said, I am Christian, but there were a few of the Atheist moms there and I felt sooo uncomfortable and I was flabbergasted that the hostess would thing it was proper to read a Bible Story for story time.

I completely agree with you -- can't we just talk about kids or something? Or what happened to reading books like the Pokey Little Puppy? Good gracious!

You have some weird groups in your area, btw.

Kelly said...

Oh ok, its not just me.. I mean since when is your belief or non belief a pre requiset to join a freaking playgroup? Actually I never did go through meetup.com, I was going through a homeschool group and then a natural families group..sheesh..where is the regular, non conformist, normal group of mommies that want to chat and gulp down coffee in large quanitites? lol
Btw, Hells Kitchen is fab, Gordon is so freaking sexy, although if he yelled at me like he does at the other 'Hell's bitches',I think I would curl up die!

B said...

i think i'd die too. i told my husband that i would love to be on that show haha. but i'd be like erin (is that his name?) the one that cries at everything and was "let go" for health problems...he worked at a retirement home. try meetup.com there's all kinds of groups on there...and it's absolutely free -- which i'm sure you knew. good luck!

Kelly said...

Yes, Erin was his name..dude that guy cried more than I do! I wonder what was wrong with him? They never did say. What about the girl who threw food in the trash and then got it back out?!? EWWW.. I really like that one woman,(totally blank on her name) but she is the one who worked in a diner I think? Or soup kitchen? can't remember. I like her and Rock.. Vinnie is a punk -ass, glad he's gone though...
I would love to go on there..love to cook, but yeah..I would have to have a few drinks before I could tolerate the antics of Ramsey. Cheers!
Btw, how are you feeling with the bun in the oven? All is well? :) Best wishes to you..