Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Crisp and Chilly

According to our local weather man, a winter storm is coming our way. I'll believe it when I see it. So far the past 2 days have been abnormally cool. I love it. The kids actually wore long pjs the past two nights. I love autumn..the changing colors, the crisp, cool air. And the smells..ahh..cinnamon,apples,cloves..all make me feel so warm and fuzzy. I have a apple-cinnamon candle that smells great while burning, however when you blow it out, it totally and completely smells like fish..no kidding, my house wrecked of salmon yesterday! I wonder if Target will take it back..I think it was genetically modified or something.
I put some cloves and cinnamon in a pot with some water and put it on the back burner of the stove and it simmers and makes things smell wonderful.
We already picked out October 6th as out Halloween night. We make a big deal out of decorating. Hopefully the weather will be cool. I am going to make some spiced cider and maybe some stuffed squash for supper. Dessert..hmm..pumpkin spiced cookies perhaps. We have so much Halloween decorations..more than Christmas in fact. That is Justin's favorite holiday. Mine..Thanksgiving..I love being in the kitchen, football on..friends, family. All good. Justin's family is gone to Washington..and mine..sister is in Texas..brother..here, but we haven't really talked in a great while (hopefully that will change), Mother..no clue, father, no clue...
Last year I was going to take Lily to a local homeless shelter where we were going to help in the kitchen and serve the folks. When I called to confirm, they no longer needed us. :( That was a disappointment. Maybe this year we can donate some goods to a woman's shelter, or Children's hospital..or something like that.
Justin and I have been watching a program called The Truth About Food..with Dr. Mehment Oz on the Discovery health Channel..and its good..it will be on again tonight at 8pm. He conducts all sorts of experiments and finds out interesting facts about food. It is really informative. He is the Dr. that is always on Oprah.
I finally made some chicken soup last night. I was planning to make this a few days ago, but just didn't have time. So while Justin and Jack went with Lily last night to karate, I got it done..and it was good and warmed our bellies. I made extra because I told Lily's teacher (who had fallen ill last week) I would bring her some.
Lily is begging to be in Heartlight again. She did that last year and performed at some college football game at half-time. this year however, they will perform at Qualcom at a Charger game! Cool, now we can get in either free or at a cheap price. I mean c'mon, who doesn't want to go to a Charger game and then see there offspring shred it up out on the field at halftime?
Jack is insisting on watching Over The Hedge...again..so I will go make a latte and join the little guy..
Later we are going to the market and get some goodies to make up a Wednesday feast.

2 comments:

B said...

Send some of that cool crispness my way. We got a bit while in Arkansas, but it's been hot and miserable here in TX since we got back.

I've got a great (vegan) pumpkin biscuit recipe I can't wait to try for the holidays.

I hope we get more trick or treaters this year...last year we got 2...and they were teenagers who weren't dressed up.

How are you feeling? And when do you go to the doc?

Rantings by a Middle Aged Drama Queen said...

I am so jelly of your weather! Like B said it is hot for no reason here. My kids walk home from school like 10 minutes away and they are covered in sweat by the time they make it in the house! I heart halloween also. I tell people that it is the only reason I had 6 children (lots of candy)!!!