Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sick of everything...

Lily stayed home from school, just like yesterday. She has a bad cough and is congested. School does that to a kid. During the summer..no illnesses..but seriously after a week in school its cold after cold..it stinks..and ofcourse double trouble because whatever Lily gets she brings home and so lovingly passes it off to Jack.
Besides, they aren't doing much in class..same ol' stuff..read this, test you on it the next day..memorize this..test..very routine.
I have been considering trying the homeschool thing once more. Jack is older now and not constantly on my boob so I could actually do lessons and he could do some things too!
I discussed this with Lily and she firmly refuses. Who knows..maybe she'll reconsider. Hopefully by the time 4th grade comes I will have a car and she may want to homeschool and we have all kinds of field trips to attend. I would sign her up for a charter school just like last time.
The kids are out in the back yard playing. I am making baked chicken, some Asian coleslaw and some organic steamed broccoli for dinner. Justin is buying Ratatouille and we'll watch that with the kids tonight.
Lily should be going to school tomorrow..but that's what I thought yesterday too..seems to get worse at night..It definitely could be a result of all the crap that is still in the air from the fires.
I am starting to feel kinda sad lately..things are weird. I don't like how early it starts to get dark..our garden has died, and I am seeing Christmas commercials! Already! The day after Halloween... Christmas. Already. Not. Even. Thanksgiving. What. The. F*%#K?
I don't want my kids to want so many material things. Its hard. Television plays a HUGE part in that. Jack is only 3 and starting to say " Oh mommy I want that..and that ...and that!" I am limiting their TV viewing..Lily watched Hannah Montana..fine but then there are the commercials. That's what I don't like. Most if not all are for some ridiculous toy, sugary foods or how cool it is to eat at some fast food joint. I don't want to be the mean mom that doesn't let their kids watch television...but its getting so outta hand. Alot of the times the TV is on discovery channel, national geographic and/or food network..which is my favorite. I suppose I can just turn the dern thing off. I would like to go for a week w/o TV. What would we do? What kind of activities? Hmm..And sheesh..what about my shows. I mean hello..my Thursday..Ugly Betty and Greys Anatomy.??? I need my fix of grown up shows and not little tweens on Disney channel or Little Bill..or Max and Ruby.

2 comments:

B said...

I hate that about TV too! When I had my brother living here (he was 4 at the time) he'd say OHHH I WANT THAT to everything! Even girl toys. His addiction was so bad. It's hard because I don't thing watching TV itself is harmful, it's just all the crap that comes with it -- like the fast food commercials, all the stinking toy commercials.

Blah...but really -- what would I do without it? I HATE it!

And I sooo feel ya on how early it gets dark. I hate that too!

Rantings by a Middle Aged Drama Queen said...

I guess I am just lucky that way.....or my kids know not to waste their breath asking for things. They never ask for toys, food, anything really. They watch t.v. all the time. Mostly animal planet and pokemon. I will just count my blessing for now.