Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Jack and The Snot Factory

How can so much snot come from such a small person. I mean seriously..I wipe his nose(when he's running by, because god forbid he stand still for a second to clean the mess) and by the time I go throw away the tissue I look at the little mucus monster and its pouring outta his nose! He feels fine other than his leaky nose. Lily was ill Sunday..she cried on and off all day due to a headache..which was a sinus headache because she was totally congested. I kept her home from school Monday..which was silly she didn't have a fever, and she felt totally fine..I just didn't want her to get worse or get other children worse..I'm considerate like that....
So we were watching Alton Brown Good Eats Monday night and he made Chicken Fried Steak..yum! So I go to the market and get all the stuff. (I should mention I missed the first oh..5-7 minutes because I was working on my 5th load of wash.) Anyway..it turned out so wicked gross.. I totally missed the most crucial step..tenderizing the meat..duh! (I was at the laundry room when they showed that part) And my gravy was brown, not white. And the meat..well lets just say your mandible got a helluva work out. Oh yeah the coating on the meat was suppose to be crunchy and mine was soggy and it kept falling off the steaks...haha oh well I totally suck at frying stuff..which may be a good thing because its totally unhealthy. I felt bad for the husband because he went after work and bought some beer called Anchor Steam? or something to enjoy with his meal that I got him all worked up about. (he hasn't had beer in a month!)
I have my doc appointment Sept 13..remember when I mentioned I am getting this rash all over..eczema I presume..well I Google adult onset eczema and about 4 sites list something like this:
'Adult-onset unexplained eczema may be sign of lymphoproliferative malignancy'
I am getting some lab work done and maybe a derm referral for my insane eczema that is driving my crazy. I am totally freaking out..which is silly ..because its probably nothing..right? I have to keep telling myself that. Maybe its from the cats? But I had a very small patch before they came..and also years ago, before Lily was born I had a cat too, and no eczema.. I know how your feeling B... I drank a whole bottle of wine the other night..(in the post with the kids making a huge mess)..I figured I 'm gonna die anyway, so what the hell....
I will spare you the pictures I took of the Chicken Fried Steak..it looks terrible..like a big gravy-ish terd..

3 comments:

Rantings by a Middle Aged Drama Queen said...

Don't you just hate that! You make something expecting it to be GREAT and then BAM it tastes like crap! Ohhhh well you live and learn and try to remember I leave C.F. steak to the proffesionals :)As for you and B getting sick, yall are starting to freak me out!

B said...

i'm a CFS (chicken fried steak) queen! it's so much easier to buy pre-tenderized meat (i.e. cube steak) and fry that up. i just dredge the steaks in flour (with some salt, pepper, garlic powder) and THEN into the egg mixture and THEN back into the flour mix before popping into hot grease. also, to keep the batter from absorbing an innate amount grease, just use egg whites with a splash of milk instead of whole beat eggs. the protein in the yolks soaks up the oil like nobody's business.

oh...i'm southern cooking princess (paula deen is queen, ofcourse!)

sorry to hear that everyone is so sick. it blows! maybe it's the lunar eclipse thing or something.

Kelly said...

I bought 'wafer thin bottom round' steaks and I did the flour, egg and flour again..oh well..
I think I will just by the frozen store kind from now on, that or waitl til you or Paula come over and cook it for us! haha