Friday, July 18, 2008

Ack!! Staph Attack...!!!

I called the doc last night because Justin was being a pain and nagging me to do so. I finally get around to it at 7:45pm and I talked to the appointment lady. I tell her all the 'symptoms' of this mysterious bite like thingy. She immediately transfers me to a nurse. After speaking to 2 different nurses I get transferred back to the appointment girl. She tells me she has a 9:oo pm appointment tonight. She must be crazy. I tell her I will come first thing in the morning. 'What do ya have?' She informs me it is against medical advice to make an appointment for the morning..I have to go.. like right the hell now. Shit.
Justin had to come because I had no clue where to go and it was at night nonetheless.
After waiting for 20 minutes in the waiting room, some nurse calls me back, takes my vitals and sends me back in the waiting room because there are no rooms available at the time. It was so freaking crowded in there, it was nuts. Giant dude sneezing so loud and spewing bits of goo all over the place. Thankfully we were sitting on the opposite side of the waiting room so none of his wet snot-like substance could get us. Kids crying and throwing huge tantrums..(so glad it wasn't ours at the time, although normally it is.) The air conditioner must have been broke, because it was hot, muggy and stuffy in there. So know you get the picture of what it was like in the dreaded germ filled, hoarding sick people with various ailments room, we can continue to the actual visit with my MD.
OK..remember a while back I had to go to the doc because my c-section scar was messed up and weird? Ya that. Well I went and remember how they did a culture. The doc said take these here pills in case it is this weird bacteria called "Merca'. We will call you if there is something of concern on your culture. remember no news is good news.
So I took a few pills and waited. No call. Sweet. I can stop taking these dang antibiotics..the make me feel like shit and I was always on the verge of barfing. oh so fun.
Anyway, the doc takes one look at my thigh and immediately says' Oh my god, that's infected, that's really bad'. Then he looks on his handy dandy computer and says' oh I see you were just here on June 10th and had a staph infection,'..Huh??
I told him, yeah I was and but I didn't have anything because no one phoned to let me know. He looks a little uncomfortable in his stool and says ' Someone should have let you know you had a staph infection, it came back on your culture"
Damn it..no one freaking called me.
HE asks me if I know for sure if this was a spider bite. Uh no.. I was just assuming. He said it could have started off as a small scratch and turned into this. Apparently one in five people are carriers for staph...AND it is in your nose!!!
Apparently the whole time what I thought were to be wicked bad spider bites and/or flea bites, could have been a scratch from who knows what and since I had staph it made it worse.
So once again I am on the same antibiotics as I had before. Then he gave me this antibacterial wash in which I need to scrub in the shower with daily..(it is orange and it stinks..bleh) and if that wasn't bad enough..I have this other stuff..some weird ointment that I have to put on my fingers and shove them up my nose and massage my nostrils..3 times a day.
Dear god what next!?!
Had I not gone to the doc, apparently I would have spiked a totally high fever and my leg would have swelled even more.
This totally explains alot. The fact that I always seem to have something going on with me..some type of sore or scratch. And plus the fact I feel crummy about 80% of the time. That's because my body is in overdrive, getting the little bastard bacterias out of me.
This blows..like big time..
Who would have known?
Certainly not me because the fuckers never even called to tell me.
OK..I am done..must go get it on with my nostrils.

6 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

I would be so pissed...you could have gotten gravely ill on someone's stupidity! Holy crap. Glad you'll be on the mend soon though. Thank goodness!

Alice said...

Good grief! Is there anyway to switch your doctors to some people who aren't complete f***ups?!

I actually wanted to suggest a staph infection when I saw yours because the one in my leg did the same thing - large red circle with spikes. They had to cut into it to drain it because it was so subdermal. Ugh.

Will your antibiotics clear up the staph or will you always be a carrier?

Caroline said...

Holy cow...I am so sorry to hear about that! My friend had that--wicked bad! She couldn't had to scrub her whole house down and constantly be on alert! Hang in there...I am sending you some good energy.

Amy said...

OH MY GOD!! I Had the SAME thing like I don't know how many times. The first time, I went to the doctor and he drained it and let me know nothing, (just like you) then I got it again, and went back and then they tell me that the last time it was a staph....grrr, and I was so careful, took my antibiotics, used the cream in my nose, antibacterial wash, didn't let anyone freakin touch me and I kept getting it, at least 5 times!!! It's been at least 6 months now since I had one, so I pray to God I never get another one and that it's finally gone.
I feel your pain because I have been there....it sucks big time!

Wait til that nasty stuff starts to drain, thats the worst part, but it does relieve it some.

Anonymous said...

That is called MRSA. Methlacillin Resistant Staphlycocus Aureous.

It starts with what looks like a spider bite and it was being misdiagnosed as a spider bite.

It is pronounced MERSA and please look MRSA up on your computer.

You probably got it during your C-section or right after, during a follow-up exam as it is extremely contagious and dangerous if left untreated.

Do not touch an open wound on your children until AFTER you have washed your hands.

jen said...

my daughter had the same thing...and we were told that you can be a "carrier"
(don't quote me on that...i only remember 50% of what is told to me...i think)
of MRSA for around 2 years. we were told to be on the look-out for anything that looked similar for a few years and then we could be a little less vigilant.
tough to get rid of! also gross to know it resides in your nose, isn't it?