Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday failure..sort of anyway..

I made that recipe I mentioned last night..the red roasted pepper soup with creme fraiche and cilantro. Well it went off without a hitch and I didn't have enough herbs to make the herb butter compound crap I was going to spread on the garlic rubbed bread. Oh well.
The soup only took about 15 minutes..that's it. I think it was the fastest damn supper I ever made, other than slapping some cheese on some bread for grill cheese..that's on my lazy days. Still my kids get mad because I don't want to just use the sliced american processed orange shit that kids gobble up..(well my little one does anyway). I like to mix it up a bit and try Havarti..or even some herbed brie and saute some red onions and add some smoked turkey. Anyway..where was I going with this...
Ahhh..that's right..kids don't appreciate the good stuff.
Back to the meal.
I loved it..it had a serious kick to it from the cayenne pepper, but it was cooled down by the creme fraiche. My husband, the big terd, snubbed this gourmet soup and wouldn't even take one minuscule sip. Pffftt.. And it goes without saying, like father, like son...Jack ate a granola bar.
I always make stuff and give some to food lady.(.a.k.a. food critic) and my other tenant who happens to be my bff, Lina. She said she'd love to try it and asked what type of meat is in it...haha. She was hesitant to try due to the absence of flesh..but low and behold she totally dug it and ate it up lickity split. Food lady liked it too. Cool.

Prior to making this, I decided to make some cookies. having an idea from another blog in which she mentioned about cookies that were like chocolate chip coffee cookies..I thought I'd give it a whirl and try some on my own.
I made a normal dough for chocolate chip cookies, but with the wet ingredients I add one cup of freshly brewed strong coffee.
I was totally winging it. Now I think about it I should have tried instant coffee..but being a coffee snob, i don't have that crap in the house. The cookies were ehhh..mediocre..nothing to write home about. They turned out to cake like..but totally chocolaty. And damn it I couldn't taste a hint of coffee. What a waste.


Oh well..not sure whats cooking for tomorrow..Justin and I are off to see Hell Boy 2 while food lady babysits. I hope my kids don't kill her..she is quite fragile and my kids are obnoxious!
In other exciting news..I am totally getting a freaking ear infection! WEEEE!!!!






2 comments:

Alice said...

OK - here's my plan - when the wildfires force you from your house, you come live with me and cook and you'll never even have to pay rent!

Kelly said...

Now your talking Alice..I'll make the food, you make the cocktails. :) See you soon! Kisses!