Friday, September 19, 2008

French Onion Soup

I have been wanting to make this recipe for a really long time, then I had forgot about it..
I was reminded when a good friend made her version the other day.
Here's the low-down...

* Slice up about 5 medium onions....



* Put about 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large pot. Put on medium heat and toss in the onions.

* Season with salt, freshly cracked black pepper, thyme and a few bay leaves.



* Cook for about 20ish minutes or until the onions are browning and caramelizing. Remove the bay leaves.


* Add in 1/2 cup sherry to de-glaze the pan..(if you don't have sherry, use white wine)



* Then add 6 cups of beef broth



* Bring to a boil.


* I then dumped the soup in a small crock pot and turned it on low..
* Get a few pieces of crusty bread..(I used sourdough) ...then put some cheese on the top..either Swiss or Gruyere' and put under the broiler until cheese is melted and bread is crispy...
*Enjoy...



The results.....
Delish..so rich and savory..I loved using the bread to sop up the broth.
And like I predicted..Lily took one look at the soup...rolled her eyes and started spurting out something like "ewwww...that is so disgusting..you are feeding us onions for dinner. Why?? But Mom..can't we just have...blah blah blah??"" At that point..I just tuned her out.
She ate it...and LOVED it...
Justin was snooping around in the kitchen wondering where the meat is..and saying he doesn't get the whole 'soup' thing..
I took some to food lady and she really liked it too.
I would give this recipe 4 outta 5 stars...

No comments: