Monday, August 4, 2008

Our weekend...

This weekend wasn't the best..in fact it kinda sucked a little.
Unfortunately it was time to say goodbye to our Salsa.
Of course you've all heard the continuous plastic eating, puking it out later in the night saga a thousand times. This last incident was the finally straw.
Lily had fed her on Thursday at her regular supper time of 4pm. After which she would let Salsa out back to do her business.
Meanwhile the kids were eating trail mix at the table for a mid afternoon snack. I was washing dishes. Salsa had been out side for maybe 20 seconds if that. I then hear this ridiculously loud crunching, and I thought to myself..dang, you kids are so noisy with those almonds. I made some snide remark about how you should chew with your mouth shut sorta thing to the kids.
They replied it wasn't them, it was Salsa. I stop washing the dishes and look out the back door to see this brilliant dog of mine at the door step dining on some random piece of plastic.

Shit.

I grab her and get a little piece out, noticing her teeth and the insides of her mouth were tore up and bloody.
Dumb dog.
"God..freaking idiot" I say in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice.
She drags her sorry ass in the house and she lays in her bed. I yelled at her and scolded her in a stern voice. I was standing in front of her and she was lying down. I was saying something and pointing my finger "this is bad for you" blah blah blah sorta thing.
Then she shows her teeth at me, growls and lunges for me trying to bite my goddamn finger.
Oh hell no.
WTF is this shit. I am her pack leader yo. I mean I watch Dog Whisperer. How dare she.
I was so done. Since obviously she has the tendency to do this to me..(her so called pack leader)..she would do this to the kids. That is a risk I am not willing to take.
Fast forward to later that night...we were all going to bed, and I walked by her bed and said in a totally normal voice..'C'mon Salsa. bedtime," and she has the audacity to freaking growl at me. Again.
Forget this shit.
I called Operation Greyhound and explained what was going on. Saturday morning we took her back up there. And let me just note I have never seen her so happy since we had her. She was all smiles and wiggles and happy go lucky girl. She was greeting all her old mates from the kennel and giving a shout out to her peeps..err,,dogs. Whatever.
Lily was sad at first..but quickly got over it. She made a deal to go spend the night at a friends house and go swimming and she wouldn't throw a fit. haha OK then, obviously she really cared huh?...lol
Let me just say how nice it is not to have a pet. I mean yeah she was a cool dog..but after awhile..there was just like no connection anymore..maybe she missed her doggie pals..dunno.
Now we can actually plan trips and camping and all that without the extra worry. For the holidays we are planning to maybe go to Disneyland for an overnight stay!
Moving on...

We finally took Lily to the Whaley House so she will shut up already.
I had never been there..I wasn't that impressed. Of course I was all hyped up due to Lily's constant talking about it and reassuring me we will have a paranormal experience. No such luck. We also walked around Old Town and the kids went into the very first public school in our area, which was established sometime in the 1800's I think. cool stuff.
However, there was one and only one picture we took that made us question.
More than likely it was a smudge on the glass..that or a real apparition. Oh well. Here are some pictures.

And finally I made sweet and spicy flank which is Justin's favorite .
I made the marinade of
2 cans of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce

brown sugar

orange juice
cilantro

chives
blend it up and marinate the flank overnight. Grill it,
slice it:
put it on tortilla with sour cream and cilantro then squeeze lime over the whole thing and go to town. This is so good!

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is the exact reason we don't have a dog, or any pet for that matter. They are harder to care for than the kids.

Mmm, that meal looks delish!

Caroline said...

Sorry to hear about Salsa...but seems for the best! I have 2 dogs and planning trips is crazy! Not to mention, we can never leave them alone for more than 5-6 hours...so your new found freedom is a good thing. Oh yea, that marinade looks so good! I am going to use that for sure!

Alice said...

I'm with you on dogs. They just seem like a lot of work. I'm pretty happy with our two cats. They keep me company without being needy which is what I'm after.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Salsa. It's hard - we know. Same thing with Chester.

By the way, that "smudge on the glass" ? Can you say "reflection of your flash" ?

;o)

Kelly said...

John O -
Nope..no flash used kiddo...
and Lily likes to think it was a apparition..lets not spoil it for her..hee hee!