Friday, July 20, 2007

My Turn...

You know how sometimes you go to the market or Target or whatever, and there always seems to be a child having a tantrum..screaming bloody murder. Shrieking so loudly you can hear where they are located in the store? And you know how you always think, whew, thank goodness its not my kids.
Well today was my child's moment to shine. Lily was off at a party, so I gathered up Jack and off we went. We were out of a few things, like bread, cat food and a few other random things. Jack had asked me before we left if the store had firetrucks. I told him I wasn't sure but maybe we'll check.
After I gathered the things, I took a trip down the toy aisle. Big mistake. I looked through the hot wheels and there was no fire truck. There was a lady working that aisle scanning merchandise and putting new price tags on things and she pointed out to me that there were a few hot wheels 'monster trucks' that are 75% off. She scanned them and they rang up $2.50! Sweet..I took 2 and hid them so Jack wouldn't see. His bday is in a month. I was going to buy him a regular hot wheel for a dollar and showed him a few to choose from. That wasn't good enough. He wanted the $19.99 remote control dump truck thingy. Now trying to explain that he wasn't going to get such a big toy, because 1). its too much $ right now and 2). his birthday was in a few weeks did no good. He started screaming, yelling, freaking out..and then he went berserk, going back in forth in the stroller trying to get out, trying to grab my cell phone, trying to knock items off the shelf. Time to leave...NOW!! He has never had such a meltdown of this magnitude before..WTF??? Nothing I can do or say would calm him down. What do you do? I could feel everyone starring at me and Jack, muttering things under their breathe. I am sure lots of people go through this..I would have normally just dumped everything and left the premises, but I was done shopping and all I had to do now was check out. The cashier handed Jack a sticker and he calmed down. I was so flustered...and furious. Walking home he acted like nothing even happened. He was all smiles and giggles. Must have forgot what just took place in the store. I know all kids do this..but damn..why couldn't Justin been there to deal with this? lol Jack acts so much better when Daddy's around. Oh well. He is content now eating raisins and string cheese. I on the other hand, need a stiff drink...

No comments: