Tuesday, July 31, 2007

First Harvest...

Tomorrow is August 1st. Lughnasad. Everything this time of year begins its gradual descent. http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater37/holidays.htm
I am not sure what I will do with the kids just yet. I haven't been keeping up with activities as much as I'd like too. Last summer we kicked off the Summer Solstice (Litha) by making beautiful fruit hangings (solar image) We cut up lemons and limes and we threaded them with yarn and hung them in the kitchen window where is was bright and sunny. It looked wonderful. Also smelled amazing because when the sun warmed up the fruit , it filled our home with a summery citrus aroma.
Maybe tomorrow we can go for a nature walk..(I bought Lily a kit where she can catch bugs,examine them and then release), and then maybe attempt to make bread..but that may be iffy, as you can see in the one post titled 'Potluck and dumb-ass bread'
I have a recipe for Lughnasad Loaves..so maybe Jack and Lily will be up for that.
Nothing much going on here today. Jack and i are going to the market later, and Justin and I may watch 300 this evening. I have finished planning my weekly menu early. I am going to make sirloin burgers w/Swiss, portabello and balsamic mayo..I made these before and they were a hit.

2 comments:

B said...

oh i'm so jealous, i want to see the 300 so bad! but we won't get it in netflix for a while...we have to watch the movie we have currently first haha.

anyway, how about making salt dough and shaping it into fruit shapes or something and baking it hard and then painting it with paints afterward? salt dough recipe: http://www.gigglemoose.com/salt_dough_recipe.htm
have fun! :)

Kelly said...

What a good idea..thanks for the info! :)