Thursday, July 5, 2007

Potluck and dumb-ass bread




We had a potluck with some neighbors at the pool yesterday. I made some Italian chicken to grill and there was also the typical fare of dogs and burgers. There was also brisket, I never had that, and I must say it was quite tasty. Justin was lighting firecrackers and Jack was freaked out. I wish he could tolerate them, because there was some really neat ones last night..(or so I heard, I had to stay home and comfort the little tyke). Honestly I didn't mind, I had a HUGE headache..probably because I didn't have any coffee that morning..just mimosa's.


Justin was pretty drunk last night..after a bunch of beers, my friends hubby was pretty loaded too and thought it would be a good idea to have some Jamaican rum. Duh!! Big mistake.


Both men are paying for it this morning, haha. I am not a huge drinker, it always makes me feel like crap. I seem to get my hangover the same night, not the next day. Not to mention I get weird red splotches all over my face and it spreads down my neck. Hrmm..weird. Anyway, I would rather have a coffee drink then booze. But that's just me.


Remember I was going to make that yogurt herb bread? Its a recipe (from Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats) anyway..I soaked the organic wheat flour over night with whole milk yogurt and followed the directions to a T. The house had a fantastic aroma of savory herbs..everyone else thought it smelled like banana bread..probably because the maple syrup. Well I took it out of the oven and it look great, sliced a piece and it was speckled with bright green herbs, (tarragon, oregano, basil etc.) I put a little bit of butter on it.I was so anxious to eat this delicious morsel. It was crap! It tasted like absolutely nothing. Wait, I take that back, it tasted like basil butter. It did rise good however because I soaked the flour. I was so disappointed. It was even light and fluffy, not so insanely dense like all the other bread I've made. I have made wheat bread multiple times and its so freaking dense and heavy you could hit a burglar over the head and knock em' out. I will post some before and after pictures. Sniff..

3 comments:

B said...

oh gosh. mixing rum with other drinks brings me back to new years eve of past years..ugh.

the bread is such a let down. i'm very sad about it. i was just thinking yesterday of how i'd have to get that bread from you. for some reason i was thinking of your post about it and my mouth was watering a little. i think that's total crap and i'm sorry it didn't turn out! you should get some sort of recipe refund.

chanale said...

Aww, I hope you have better luck with your next loaf. I got a little chuckle over the image of you conking a burglar on the head with a brick of bread. :)

Kelly said...

Yes, it is very upsetting..they should have said in a side note.."Make at your own risk..may be used as a weapon..adult supervision is required.Do not use your organic ingredients and definetly not your expensive maple syrup because it will be a total waste."